Friday, March 14, 2008

Brister doesn't want to "engage"

PERSONA NON GRATA
WITH TIMMY BRISTER

Bob to Charles:

Sorry, Charles, but it seems I have managed to "split my britches" with yet another Hybrid Calvinist.

You can add Timmy Brister to the list of Hybrids who don't want to get any items from me. I recently sent Tim a couple of items, and now he writes to say he has chosen "not to engage" you and me and doesn't want to receive anything more from me.

Timmy joins the list which includes iMonk, James White, Tom Ascol, Tim Challies and some other Hybrids who choose not to "engage" us. Remember, too, awhile back Scott Morgan of Georgia said he wanted to debate me, but when I accepted his proposal he headed for the kudzu to hide?

These fellows seem to have the calling to "dish it out," but are short on the wherewithal to handle respondence. They remind me somewhat of some Campbellites whom I have encountered over the years -- "their bark is louder than their bite."

So far as poor Tim is concerned, he has pulled so many "boners" it's not surprising that he doesn't want to "engage." His most recent episode of "evangelism at UPS" (as Tom Ascol calls it) demonstrated Tim's novice status very well. And the fact that he is yoking up with the Flounders after leaving seminary is even more pitiful.

Nevertheless, Charles, Tim's blunders have made some "good copy" for the Flyswatter to counter the fallacies of Hybridism and Floundersism, so let's keep a watch on the Tom & Tim Show from FloundersWorld once Tim joins the staff at the New Geneva to assist in the Reformation. If Tom and Tim are capable of separately blundering as they have the past two years, think of what blunders they may perform together.

5 Comments:

At Saturday, March 15, 2008 8:29:00 AM, Blogger Rick said...

If I may, I'd like to offer some recommendations which I think would effectively aid in engaging the "flys" and your site.

I would seek to get five or six contributors to your site. Stop writing back and forth to one another (looks like abbott and costello to the casual observer).
Buy a site wherein one can just type in "calvinistflyswatter" (without the blogspot).

The more you put yourself into the mainstream the greater the reaction from the "flys" because they will feel more of a compunction to reply to you--but you'll also open yourselves up for greater support.

Remember, if non-calvinist blog sites are going to do a proper job of putting the 5-pointers in their place they need to come out from behind the shadows.

As interesting, and valid, as your site is--this is something you haven't done. Go formal.

 
At Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Stephen Garrett said...

The "reformed" or ("deformed") Baptists, like Brister, remind me so much of the Hardshell Baptists. They too, historically, practice "hit and run" tactics. They prefer to attack behind a fence or wall, and will not come out and openly do battle.

I call these "tactics" the taking of "pot shots" at others. So many are out there today who "can dish it out" but "can't take it" themselves, hey?

Be careful Bob that you don't get a "blister" from dealing with Brister! lol

Stay on your post Brother Bob and Charles! There are lots of Calvinist flies out there that need swatting! God bless your "flyswatter."

You know, I can see why Arminian Adrian Rogers (whom I admire nonetheless) called these "reformed" "hybrid" "hyper" "Calvinists" as "wine and cheese theologians"!

He was wrong in saying that about men like Spurgeon, but not about many, seemingly, in the "reformed Baptist" community.

In Christ,

Stephen Garrett

P.S. I have published three chapters now in my book, "The Hardshell Baptist Cult," on the "Great Commission."

 
At Saturday, March 15, 2008 10:30:00 PM, Blogger Charles said...

Brother Bob, Hello!

In my opinion, Brister only wants to "engage" when he is the only one doing the "engaging."

Brister reminds me of James White. In my opinion, both have a severe case of "Rossophobia." They are big and bad as long as they can vent without opposition. Once someone stands up to them, they run back into their hole. Remember how James was blowing about Caner? Then when Caner said he would debate James, James flew the coop. All blow and no go.

Charles

 
At Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:14:00 PM, Blogger Bob L. Ross said...

BEST ON HARDSHELLISM

Stephen Garrett said;

I have published three chapters now in my book, "The Hardshell Baptist Cult," on the "Great Commission."

I have seen those chapters, Stephen, and your research and analysis of "Hardshellism" is undoubtedly the most thorough research and refutation that has ever been compiled.

I recommend all interested parties to go to your web site and see for themselves:

http://baptistgadfly.blogspot.com/

 
At Saturday, March 15, 2008 11:23:00 PM, Blogger Bob L. Ross said...

ANOTHER WEB SITE?

Collapse comments

Rick said...

If I may, I'd like to offer some recommendations which I think would effectively aid in engaging the "flys" and your site.

While you may be right, I don't know that either Charles or I have that much time, ability, and interest in doing what you suggest.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home