Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Garrett's Hardshell Research

Stephen Garrett Reveals More on Hardshell History

Stephen Garrett at BaptistGadfly continues to impress with his research and writings about "Hardshell Baptists" [aka "Primitive Baptists"]. Here is the introduction to his ongoing Hardshell material, based on what he found at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky.

Jun 15, 2010

The Seceder Hardshells
Last November, when I had a debate with John Gentry, Campbellite, we held the debate on the campus of SBTS in Louisville. During this two day stay in Louisville, I was able to visit the campus library and look up some old books and records relative to the early 19th century "split" between the "anti mission" or Hardshell Baptists and those who supported missions. I found an old book on the history of the Liberty Baptist Association and on the "split" between the Hardshells and the general body of Baptists. I copied some pages at that time but did not get to copy as much as I had liked. Recently, I was able to find this history on the internet! I was so glad to have found it as it is an able defense against the Hardshell claims and pretenstions. Below are some notes taken from this work with some comments of mine. When I get back to writing and editing my on-going book on the Hardshells, I hope to make use of these notes. All highlighting and emphasis is mine - SG.

The front page of this work reads as follows:

"OF THE LIBERTY BAPTIST ASSOCIATION FROM ITS ORGANIZATION IN 1832 TO 1906 Containing Much History Incidentally Connected with this Body ALSO There is presented quite an extended account of the "Split" in Baptist ranks, showing who are the "Primitive Baptists," together with Side-Lights on the "Split."

It was written by Elder Henry Sheets on behalf of the Liberty Association.

Sheets wrote:

For the rest of the article, click here: Seceder Hardshells

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home