Saturday, May 31, 2008

Alcohol and Reformed Calvinists

Can anyone name a Reformed /Hyper /Extreme /Neo /Hybrid /Flounder-lovin' Calvinist who believes it's wrong to socially drink alcohol? Or to put it another way, is there a Reformed SBC Calvinist out there who agrees with 99.9% of Southern Baptist churches on the subject? If there is, please tell me.

Since Tom Ascol took up the cause to allow SBC agency heads and trustees the right to have a nip or two, the Reformed bloggers have proven Adrian Rogers correct. They truly are the "wine and cheese theologians."

Peter Lumkins weighs in on the issue and it's worth reading.

3 Comments:

At Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:59:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i'll go with jesus over th 99.9% of southern baptist churches, any day of the week and twice on sundays.

i hope the drinkers make it to heaven, cause everyone knows Jesus said,

jesus is my favorite theologian that drank wine.

and no, i don't drink, never have, but I don't feel more holy because of it.

 
At Tuesday, June 03, 2008 9:42:00 AM, Blogger Stephen Garrett said...

Dear Bob:

I am no Hyper although I used to be.

As far as "social drinking" is concerned, I will have to register my disagreement with the 99.9% of Southern Baptists on this.

Jesus was, by definition, a "social drinker." He drank at weddings and other social events.

Now, I rarely drink, but my conscience does not bother me when I do, so long as I drink in moderation.

How anyone can read the bible on this topic and yet say social drinking in toto is condemned, is teaching a blatant falsehood and doing harm to the cause of Christ, I firmly believe.

God bless

Stephen

 
At Thursday, June 05, 2008 3:07:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

no rebuttal on this subject, I guess.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home